Trending 2015: The Flowy Trench
Nancy: Spring has finally arrived in Ottawa and I'm beyond excited. Already in the last week, I've traipsed around in dresses and tee-shirts. As much as I fully embraced the winter 2015 trends, I'm more than ready to bid adieu to my blanket scarf. There is so much to love from the Spring/Summer 2015 runways, from chic all-white stylings to romantic Grecian gladiators. That's why we've decided to do a series called "Trending 2015", which will feature a hot new trend in each article. This week, we're dancing in the April showers with the flowy trench...
The trench coat has always been a Spring classic (I'm still saving up for the iconic Burberry!). This Spring, the trench amped its cool factor with flowy cuts and effortlessly chic designs. These coats are lightweight and are so easy to wear. If I could only make one trendy purchase this Spring, it would be the flowy trench. They have that model off-duty allure and are so versatile that I'm convinced it'll be on heavy rotation in my closet long after Spring 2015.
My 5 tips to styling the flowy trench to ultimate perfection:
1. Clean Concept: Since the folds are so eye-catchingly laid back, it could be easy to go overboard and look too sloppy. It's important to go with clean lines, solid crisp colours, and simple classic patterns (like tiny polka or stripes!) when planning your outfit.
2. Delicate Lace: I'm obsessed with delicate pretty lace. Pair a taupe flowy trench with a slinky dress detailed in gorgeous lace? Date night outfit check!
3. Parisian Bedhead: Parisiennes are notorious for being very relaxed with their hair-styling, which is totally a philosophy I live by since I barely remember to brush my hair most days... To go with the whole cool-girl vibe, take it easy on the hot tools and focus on hair care instead. Use the right shampoo/conditioner for your hair type (coloured, frizzy, flat..etc), get trimmed regularly, and take the time to do a weekly hair mask -- it's that easy. ;)
4. Silk Scarves: Wear the flowy trench to the office by adding a classy silk scarf. Silk scarves are perfect for spring as they're lightweight and comfortable. Pick one with a chic pattern or design and you're good to go. If you're looking to find some gorgeous scarves, look out for the Trending 2015 article on scarves!
5. Shoes Shoes Shoes: You've got your whole outfit ready but what about shoes? The flowy trench is actually super shoe-friendly. That sounds ridiculous but it's true! I recommend ballet flats, white keds, black birks, mules, and oxfords (flat or heeled) for the daytime and for the night time? Go crazy and have fun. Shoes are really a girl's best friend.
I've created a polyvore set (above) with 4 styling trenches (See #4 for my favourite budget trench!). You can find them here:
1. Zara loose fitting trench ($129) HERE
2. Fashion Union Relaxed Trench Coat ( $95.21) HERE
3. Mango Flowy Trench ( $199.95) HERE
4. Forever 21 Belted Crepe Trench Coat ($57.90) HERE
How would you wear the flowy trench?
Till next time!